Monday, July 6, 2009

Washed Up? Not Even Close! Homemade Laundry Detergent

We are going to save the big bucks by manufacturing our own liquid laundry detergent. Imagine strolling right past that aisle in the supermarket. You could even cackle to yourself as you pass those silly shoppers paying those crazy-high prices for designer detergents (trust me: it will never get old). Why? Because we get several gallons of laundry detergent for about a buck and some change. Here’s how:

You will need the following:

  • 2 cups or 1 grated bar of unscented, organic soap (Fels Naptha, Sunshine, Octagon, or homemade lye soap)
  • 6 cups water (to be added cup at a time)
  • 3/4 cup Borax Natural Laundry Booster
  • 3/4 cup all natural washing soda
  • 1 quart HOT tap water
  • 1 gallon tap water

Grate the soap (or totally cheat and throw it in the food processor — whatever makes you happy makes me happy).

Using an old kettle, heat soap and two cups of water (add the other four cups one at a time, stirring constantly). Don’t let it boil even if you are really enjoying yourself and have begun to quote Macbeth.

Measure & mix the Borax and washing soda. Pour the mixture into your bubbling brew. Stir.

Stir until dissolved and then remove from heat. Resist the urge to stick your feet in even though it does look totally inviting.

Add 1 quart of HOT tap water to the bottom of a large tub.

Pour the soapy mixture (which should be thickening slightly) into the tub and stir. Pour in that gallon of tap water now. Stir some more. Your arms will hate me.

While stirring, you have my permission to add scent to your goop. I like lemon or lavender or cucumber — something refreshing. I think apple scent would be pretty nifty, too.

Now you can refill your detergent bottles and enjoy some more cackling. You savvy thing, you.

Let the mixture cool before pouring it into the bottles and don’t be surprised if it separates a little bit. That’s normal. Really. Use 1/2 cup per load. It works like a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You

Thanks for visiting my blog.Now kindly thanks the publisher by clicking any (ads) available in the blog.You can use My Google Search Engine as your default search engine.Add Comments to my blog posts and share it via different social networks. Mention the flaws left in posts and let me able to better my blog. Moreover,You can suggest me some related links to my blog posts.Bookmark it,soon you will need it again.I will be personally thankful to you.