Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Homemade Chicken “Things”

Call them what you want…nuggets, fingers, crispers. The name doesn’t matter nearly as much as the taste. And these homemade chicken “things” taste fantastic!

p4054571Homemade Chicken “Things”

  • 3 – 4 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 1/2 c. complete (just add water) pancake mix
  • 3/4 – 1 c. water
  • 2 T. hot sauce
  • 2 t. salt and black pepper
  • Oil for frying

1. Trim chicken breasts and cut into desired size nuggets or fingers.

2. In a large bowl whisk together pancake mix, 3/4 c. water, hot sauce and salt & pepper. Add more water to thin if needed. (Note: You want the mix to be a little thinner than you would for making pancakes, but not very much.)

3. Heat oil in a fryer or in a medium-sized pot. Add chicken pieces to the batter and stir to coat completely.

4. When oil is hot, use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken from the batter to the oil. Depending on the size of chicken pieces, only cook about 5 to 10 pieces at a time.Cook about 3 – 4 minutes per side, until batter is browned and chicken is completely cooked.p4054576Some Tips and Notes:

  • This recipe makes a lot and I did that on purpose. The process takes some effort and time so I would rather invest all that time at once and be rewarded with some extras for the freezer. (We will get 3 meals out of this.)
  • Yes, these do freeze very well. Freeze in a single layer in a freezer bag. To reheat, place frozen chicken nuggets on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, until fully warmed.
  • These chicken nuggets are similar to the “chicken crispers” you can get at Chili’s. They are crispy but not crunchy.
  • I do not have a thermometer that I use in my kitchen. I judge the heat of my oil with the handle of a wooden spoon. When bubbles form around the handle, the oil is hot enough. If the chicken starts browning too quickly, I turn the heat down a little.
  • This is a super versatile item to have on hand in your freezer. They taste great as is or as part of a meal. I have a great recipe for that coming up later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You

Thanks for visiting my blog.Now kindly thanks the publisher by clicking any (ads) available in the blog.You can use My Google Search Engine as your default search engine.Add Comments to my blog posts and share it via different social networks. Mention the flaws left in posts and let me able to better my blog. Moreover,You can suggest me some related links to my blog posts.Bookmark it,soon you will need it again.I will be personally thankful to you.