Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tomato & Garlic Chicken & Veggies

They are definitely at the top of my list when stocking the freezer or when I’m in a hurry and need a dinner that comes together quickly.

For awhile I thought I had maxed out all my options for this type of dish. I just couldn’t come up with anything new on my own and I wasn’t finding much inspiration in magazines or cookbooks. I figured we’d just have to be satisfied with our usual repertoire of about 10 different versatile sauces that I knew we all loved.

Until today that is. I was planning to make chicken cacciatore for our dinner, but it just wasn’t sounding as good to me as it usually does. So I thought I’d see if I could take some of the basics of that dish and create something a little different. And it worked!

I am thrilled with this new addition to my sauce mainstays. It is similar to my traditional cacciatore, but different enough that I’ll consider it as a unique option.

Tomato & Garlic Chicken & Veggies

  • 2 T. olive oil
  • 1 lb. chicken breasts, cubed
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/4 t. Crushed red pepper flakes
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 lb. carrots, peeled and sliced
  • 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
  • 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
  • 1 1/2 c. frozen peas
  • 1 t. Italian seasoning
  • 1/8 t. allspice

1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet and season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Add chicken to hot oil and cook for 3-5 minutes, until it’s just beginning to brown. Add crushed red pepper flakes, garlic and carrots to skillet. Cook for 5 more minutes.

2. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until chicken is fully cooked, at least 15 minutes or longer to boost the flavor, if desired.

This was great over noodles and it would also be great over mashed potatoes or rice. I think it would also be perfect thinned with a few cups of chicken stock and eaten as a soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You

Thanks for visiting my blog.Now kindly thanks the publisher by clicking any (ads) available in the blog.You can use My Google Search Engine as your default search engine.Add Comments to my blog posts and share it via different social networks. Mention the flaws left in posts and let me able to better my blog. Moreover,You can suggest me some related links to my blog posts.Bookmark it,soon you will need it again.I will be personally thankful to you.