Sunday, September 20, 2009

Homemade Retro “Motorcycle” Bike

I found this on a British car forum…those crazy Brits, always making 120+ MPG gas powered bikes and things. Straight from the guy that made it:

“The frame is from a ’90s vintage Huffy cruiser I got at a flea market for $25.00. The front fork is a reproduction Schwinn style springer. I fabricated “leaf springs” for the look, but their only function is as fenders. The wheels are from Husky- very heavy duty with thick steel and 11 ga spokes. It has a high quality coatser brake, but it also has calipers front and rear which is what I generally use for braking. The tires are all-white vintage style from Kenda.”

Read “more” for other pics and more details…

More from Mr. Hough (pronounced “hoe”):

“The tank you see, I fabricated from fiberglass, actually a form built from 1/4″ foam board covered with fleece and fiberglass resin. If I did it again, I would use fiberglass cloth. Under the cover (and bonded to it) is a 1/2 gallon steel tank that can be bought from bicycle-engine vendors. The seat and headlight are from eBay. The seat is a vintage long-spring frame that I padded with modern foam and covered with goat skin. The headlight was a small railroad lantern. It throws light like a flashlight, but I will not ride at night. Also mounted in the headlight is the speedometer with a custom face.

“I bought an engine mounting plate, gearbox and other specialized hardware from a vendor who sold (past-tense) such things. The engine is a brand new Honda GXH50 (49.4cc) with 2.5hp. I made side plates to pretty up the mounting plate and smoothed the grain off the plastic engine housing to mimic metal. I also made an air cleaner housing to look more vintage than the original plastic piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You

Thanks for visiting my blog.Now kindly thanks the publisher by clicking any (ads) available in the blog.You can use My Google Search Engine as your default search engine.Add Comments to my blog posts and share it via different social networks. Mention the flaws left in posts and let me able to better my blog. Moreover,You can suggest me some related links to my blog posts.Bookmark it,soon you will need it again.I will be personally thankful to you.